8Come, behold the works of the Lord, how he has brought desolations on the earth. 9 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire. 10 “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” 11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
Desire to take one line from this text and break it down before you. I have spent my entire 36 years prayerfully asking God how to feel the heart and restore the broken places. He in turn gave us one sentence that breaks the struggle and lies of this world, our own flesh, and the evil one. It is to Be Still and know that I am God
Be still, and know I am God
Be still, and know
4 Parts of Renewing a Broken Identity
- I AM GOD
- Exodus 3:13-15
- I am who I am
- I am
- The Lord
- the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob
- I believe in this text God presented himself in relation to creation
- then he related himself to them personally
- We must as men and women be ok with processing who God is in relation to all that is around us
- and then being able to process from that reality who he is in relation to us personally.
- The mistake many be made to only connect who God is to us personally. This is inherently selfish.
- Exodus 3:13-15
- yada` – Yadah –
- To perceive and see
- to experience
- to be made known or to make oneself known
- Matthew 7:21-23 (ESV) 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never KNEW you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
- To know and to be known is to acquire connection by experiencing life together
- This is building of intimacy with I AM
- This is taking all that he is and perceiving life from the vantage point of who he is and who I am compared to him
- To KNOW has three levels
- Body – I have three lovely children because I have known my wife. Matthew 19:5 – and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?
- Soul – I also know my wife and family emotionally from the second, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years we have spend doing life with each other. Understanding how she thinks, what she desires, and what she feels
- Spirit –
- Galatians 2:20 (ESV) – I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
- Judges 6:34 (ESV) But the Spirit of the Lord clothed Gideon, and he sounded the trumpet, and the Abiezrites were called out to follow him.
- We are know each other in a way that connects our souls together
- yada` – Yadah –
- STILL –
- Psalms 46: 10a ESV – Be still, and know I am God
- Psalms 46: 10a NASB – Cease striving and know that I am God
- I do nothing
- To be still is the ultimate act of submission and sacrifice
- John 5:19-20 – So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing. And greater works than these will he show him, so that you may marvel.
- John 5:30 – “I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me.
- Do nothing of ones own accord or desire
- Give up complete and total right to ones personhood
- Luke 22:40-42 – And when he came to the place, he said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.” And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.”
- This is what it means to be STILL
- JUST BE
- To Be is to embody all that we are
- It is have all that we are body, soul, and spirit connected into ONE.
- Not because what you have done
- Mark 1:9-11 (ESV) – In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”
- YOU ARE – To be publicly declared who you are simply because of who you are.
- It is to be free of mask, preconceptions, insecurities, and lies. To be is to sign as a lamp on a stand. Uncovered, uninhabited.